The exSEL Network is a group of Massachusetts school districts committed
to working together to expand SEL in schools.
*2020 ExSEL Summit Postponed: Due to the COVID-19 we have postponed this year’s summit until Fall 2020. Please check back for updates.*
In 2016, the statewide associations of Massachusetts school committees, superintendents, principals, and education collaboratives came together to form a first-of-its-kind collaboration to advocate for SEL in schools. This coalition, called Excellence through Social Emotional Learning (exSEL), partnered with the Rennie Center and Transforming Education in 2017 to provide direct support to districts across the commonwealth.
The Power of Networks
The exSEL Network — and its partners Transforming Education and the Rennie Center for Education Research & Policy — works with district teams to build knowledge and understanding of how effective implementation of social-emotional learning (SEL) can positively impact students’ learning and behavioral outcomes. Participants of the exSEL Network gain critical insight on how best to support the development of specific social-emotional skills and mindsets through changes in policies and practice at the district, school, and classroom levels. We anticipate that districts in the exSEL Network will serve as a model for other districts and the state of Massachusetts on supporting whole-child and SEL development now and in the future.
Meet the Districts
The exSEL Network has been supporting districts in Massachusetts since 2016. To date, 32 districts have participated in our in-person convenings.
There are several benefits to participating in the Learning Network. Participants:
- Increase their understanding of relevant research and best practices related to SEL,
- Build their capacity to guide the development of students’ social-emotional skills within a positive learning environment,
- Gain access to local and national subject matter experts, and
- Join a community of educators who support each other’s systemic and practice shifts.
Statewide Social-Emotional Learning Summit
- Each Spring, the exSEL Network gathers together with educators from across the state to further our learning and share what the exSEL Network has collectively accomplished throughout the year.
- Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, the second annual exSEL Summit has been postponed until Fall 2020.
- Check back soon for information about registration, schedule, speakers, and more! Be sure you are subscribed to our mailing list and follow us on Twitter to receive regular updates about the Summit.